Mission Delivery: Meal Planning and Fitness Edition
You Are in Charge!
Healthy Living=Healthy Choices
Week 2: French Glazed Chicken with a Greek Salad
¼cup fat-free dressing
2 tablespoons sugar-free apricot preserves
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon dried or ¼ cup minced onion
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Mix the first four ingredients and set aside.
- Arrange chicken in a 9×9 inch baking pan than has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Drain any liquid. Spoon apricot mixture over chicken. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and glaze is heated.
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 cucumber, not peeled, sliced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
4 ounces fat-free feta cheese
- Mix peppers and cucumber in a large bowl.
- Add vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano. Mix well. Cover and marinate for 15 minutes to several hours.
- Toss well before serving and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Week 2: Fitness
What is aerobic capacity and how is it linked to health?
Aerobic capacity (VO2max) indicates the maximum rate that the respiratory, cardiovascular, and muscular systems can take in, transport, and use oxygen during exercise. This reflects the body’s ability to provide energy in the muscles using oxygen. It is generally expressed relative to body weight (mL.kg.min-1) to account for differences in body size among individuals and to reflect each individual’s ability to carry out weight-bearing tasks.
Good aerobic capacity (cardio-respiratory fitness) has been shown to reduce the risk of high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, obesity, diabetes, the metabolic syndrome, and some forms of cancer. Obesity and heart disease risk factors are known to track through the life span.
Have you set a goal for your diet and physical activity yet? Set one today. You can do it! We are here to motivate you. For more information about Mission Delivery and how you can get involved as a volunteer please visit our website at http://www.diabetes.org/inmycommunity.
-Your Mission Delivery Team