You Are in Charge!
Healthy Living=Healthy Choices
Week 12: Fitness
Ways to Burn Calories
Burning calories is a good way to keep up with physical activity which is a vital step in managing diabetes. The amount of calories you burn will depend on how long you exercise and the intensity of the activity.
Lower intensity activities require more time to burn the same amount of calories.
Adding faster intervals into any activity that you do also increases your calorie use.
It is also important to be more active throughout the day. Remember – the more you move the more calories you burn and the easier it is to keep your blood glucose levels in on target!
Just getting up once an hour to stretch or walk around the office is better than sitting for hours on end in a chair. Take every opportunity you can to get up and move.
Here are just a few ways you can do it:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator at the office and in the parking garage
- Get up once an hour while you are at work and take a quick walk around your office
- Stand up and stretch at your desk
- If you go out for lunch, walk to the restaurant
- If you take public transportation to work, get off a stop earlier and walk the rest of the way to your office
- Use a speaker or mobile phone so you can pace around your office during conference calls
- Try some chair exercises during the day while at your desk
- Fidget (when appropriate) – tap or wiggle your foot while working at your desk
- Take the dog for a walk around the block
- Do your own yard work such as mowing the lawn or raking leaves
- Do your own housework such as vacuuming, dusting, or washing dishes
- Play with the kids – play catch or throw the Frisbee around
- Walk in place during the commercials of your favorite television show
- Carry things upstairs or from the car in two trips instead of one
- Walk around the house or up and down stairs while you talk on the phone
While You’re Out and About:
- Park at the far end of the shopping center lot and walk to the store
- Walk down every aisle of the grocery store
- If you are at the airport and waiting for a flight, walk up and down through the terminal
- When on a road trip, stop every few hours to stretch and walk around
So, what are you going to change TODAY? We are here to motivate you. For more information about Mission Delivery and how you engage in more physical activities, please visit our website at http://www.diabetes.org/foodandfitness.
-Your Mission Delivery Team