Presented by: Lindy Ly, M.D., Family Medicine, Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Register Here: www.kelseybeatsdiabetes.com
Dr. Linda Ly “Diabetes 101” webinar open to the public
WHAT: Kelsey-Seybold Clinic and the American Diabetes Association have teamed up to BEAT Diabetes throughout the month of November. As part of this month-long campaign, physicians recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for excellence in diabetes care at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic will engage the general public in webinars that highlight information about diabetes. Participants of this FREE event will be entered into a random drawing for a complimentary blood glucose screening. Winners will receive notification and details of how they can claim their prize.
Dr. Linda Ly, family medicine doctor at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, will present information about Type 2 diabetes including details on prediabetes, signs and symptoms, available treatment options as well as pertinent lifestyle changes.
WHEN: Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2014 Noon – 1 p.m.
WHERE: Online Register Here
WHY: Kelsey-Seybold Clinic and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) have partnered to take some of the guesswork out of one of the biggest challenges patients with diabetes face – how to eat well and stay well – through a comprehensive community outreach campaign, BEAT Diabetes, that will run during the month of November.
Individuals interested in participating in BEAT Diabetes events can visit www.kelseybeatsdiabetes.com to learn more about the campaign, health tips, webinars and events as well as related activities.
Presented by: Tom Thomas, M.D., Endocrinologist, Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Register Here: www.kelseybeatsdiabetes.com
What is BEAT Diabetes?
- BEAT diabetes is a month-long grassroots campaign aimed at generating awareness of diabetes prevention and management.
What is the focus of BEAT Diabetes?
- BEAT Diabetes focuses on prevention of diabetes, as well as management of the disease. This includes ideas for a healthy lifestyle that incorporates exercise, a nutritious and if necessary, physician – prescribed medication.
How will the message of this campaign spread to the general public?
- BEAT Diabetes will drive public awareness through a fully developed website www.kelseybeatsdiabetes.com , informational articles available both on the website and through other local media, webinars, glucose screenings and a city-wide event called “Dine Out for Diabetes.”
What is “Dine Out for Diabetes”?
- “Dine Out for Diabetes” is a Houston-wide restaurant-based event that has involvement from local chefs to develop diabetes-friendly recipes which adhere to American Diabetes Association (ADA) guidelines. These recipes are available for download on the BEAT Diabetes website. Each recipe is available at the restaurant of its creation during the month of November.
Which restaurants are participating?
- Artisan’s, Arturo’s, Canopy, Corner Table, Eleven: Eleven, Glass Wall, Holley’s Seafood Restaurant & Oyster Bar, Jonathan’s The Rub, Kiran’s, Liberty Kitchen & Oysterette, Nara Sushi & Korean Kitchen, Ninfa’s, Peli Peli, Sparrow, The Wyndham
Why get local restaurants involved in BEAT Diabetes?
- Many times, with diabetes, the first thing a physician recommends lifestyle modifications, which includes exercise and eating habits. It can be overwhelming for someone newly diagnosed. These restaurants are eager to show that having diabetes doesn’t mean having to give up flavor for food to be healthy.
What kind of far-reaching effect does diabetes have?
- In Texas alone, diabetes affects nearly 2 million people, and 500,000 of them are completely unaware that they have diabetes. Diabetes also leads to many additional chronic health conditions such as cardiovascular disease and end stage renal disease.
Are Kelsey-Seybold physician’s experienced in diabetes care?
- Kelsey-Seybold Clinic offers diabetes patients access to 98 physicians recognized for excellence in diabetes care by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. We also offer a team of dieticians to coach patients on lifestyle changes, ADA-recognized diabetes education classes and a comprehensive network of specialists – more than any other healthcare organization in Houston.